Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I'm letting you go. One by one I watch the cards fall, with pictures of the times we spent, falling to the floor fading in the sun that is streaming in. They float down with my thoughts and the memories we shared as they dance in dust particles extenuating the shafts of light making the room seem static and alive. Just as my heart flutters the way it does when I think about you, I watch the room dance in warmth and light, letting you go.The timing of the light doesn't match my thoughts, a feeling I quickly remember from our time together and let another card drop. Hunched over ragged and weak in the sunshine. My time, your time, letting you go, wishing the cards with rush to the pale boards beneath my feet. I watch as a tear falls on an upturned image seemingly miles from my finger tips on the ground, part of you leaving me as it drops and I'm letting you go. I look to see you standing enflamed by the dancing light, I hand you the cards, yours, they never belonged to me. I push them into your hand, the deck etched with your face and the time as I let you go. As I pass and stream out the door I hear the cards drop, time and emotion spread across the floor motionless and flat they intensify the light until nothing remains and the room disappears. your face blocks the sun in my eyes, your hands take mine and I stammer, I that I am letting you go. and the time stops as you lift my chin, there isn't anything to let go and I look around alone and warm. the room is gone, the cards scattered and blank the sun shining in harmony as strength returns and the color spreads. I had to let myself go, to remember I was in control. I lay in the grass and let my thoughts wander surrounded by cards that beg for me to write. I pick one up and draw my heart hold it up and let it fly, no longer to the ground but up and out and let the wind take it to where it must go.

No comments: